Pooh’s Scrummy Honey Cake
• 250g honey plus 2 tbsp for Pooh’s glaze
• 225g unsalted butter
• 100g dark brown sugar
• 3 large eggs beaten
• 300g self raising flour
1. Preheat oven to 320F (160C).
2. Butter and line an 8″ loose bottomed cake tin.
3. Cut the butter into pieces and put into pan with honey & sugar.
4. Melt slowly over low heat.
5. When mixture looks liquid increase heat and boil for 1 minute.
6. Leave to cool for 15 – 20 minutes.
7. Beat the eggs into the melted honey mixture.
8. Sift the flour in a large bowl and pour in the egg and honey mixture beating until you have a smooth, runny batter.
9. Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for 50 mins – 1 hour.
10. A skewer pushed into the centre should come out clean.
11. Turn the cake onto a wire rack.
12. Warm 2 tbsp honey in a small pan and brush over top of cake for sticky glaze.
Honey Crunch Biscuits
2 oz butter
1 tbsp honey
3 oz rolled oats
2 oz plain flour
2 oz granulated sugar
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
Equipment: Baking sheet
Oven instructions: 350oF (180oC) ~ 15 minutes
1. Gently melt the butter and honey together.
2. Take off heat and add bicarbonate of soda.
3. In a bowl put flour, oats and sugar
4. Add and stir in the liquid mixture and allow to cool slightly.
5. Place 6 equal knobs of the mixture onto a well greased baking sheet and flatten slightly.
6. Bake on a middle shelf as above
7. Leave to cool until cold.
Caramelised Honey Chutney
2 level tsp black peppercorn
1 level tsp whole pickling spice
3lb marrow peeled, seeded and cut into ½ in chunks
1lb ripe tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
8oz onions, skinned and roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, skinned and roughly chopped
2 level tsp salt
2 level tsp ground ginger
2 oz sultanas
2lb preserving sugar
8oz granulated sugar
1 ¼ pint of cider or white wine vinegar
Prep time 20 Minutes, cooking time 1hr to 1 ½ hrs
Makes about 4-5 lb
1. Finley crush the peppercorn and allspice in a pestle and mortar or use the end of a rolling pin in a bowl.
2. Put all the ingredients in a preserving pan or large, heavy- based saucepan. Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil steadily for about 50 minutes. or until reduced by half. Stir occasionally until caramelised.
3. Allow to cool and place in sterilised jars and cover with jam pot covers.
Honey Lemon Curd
Grated rind and juice of 4 medium ripe, juicy lemons
4oz butter cut in small pieces
Prep time 20 Minutes, cooking time 25 minutes
Makes about 1 ½ lb
1. Place all the ingredients in the top of a deep heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water
2. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and continue heating gently without boiling for about 20 minutes or until the curd is thick enough to coat the back of a wooded spoon.
3. Pour into sterilised jars and seal with jam pot covers
Homemade curd should be made in small quantities as it only keeps for about 1 month. Store in a cool place.