As the summer season comes to a close I need to remove the honey supers off the hives to extract the honey and start preparing the hives for winter. Varroa treatment and winter feeding needs to be done. Today I went through all the supers removing all the frames which had been capped, a total of 30 frames were removed today. I left each hive with 1 super above the crown board in the hope they would move the unripe and uncapped honey down into the super below over the next couple of days. I also put entrance reducers on all the hive entrances to help the bees defend themselves from wasps.

Honey harvest 3rd July 2014