Today’s inspection will be the first into the brood boxes for quite a few weeks, so I’m not entirely sure what to expect. Showing a potential new beekeeper through my hives as well today, so hopefully no embarrassing surprises.
Hive 1 has taken down most of the syrup I gave them, the queen was seen on the second frame and eggs and brood were all looking good and healthy. As were all the bees. I added the 2nd dose of the homemade thymol treatment.
Hive 2 had taken down most of their syrup, looking through the brood frames it became clear that I didn’t need to feed this hive at the moment as the queen was running out of space. I rearranged the frames, moving frames with space up to the edge brood of the brood nest. I also decided to add a super to give the queen more space to lay, probable not ideal at this time of year, but she needs the space to make bees for the winter.
Hive 3 was in a similar condition to hive 2, except the queen who I saw had run out of space to lay. Due to the congestion the bees had made about 8 swarm cells, which had already been capped. I removed all of these and added a super, again to give the queen somewhere to lay. This I feel was rather risky, but hopefully this late in the year it might prevent them swarming. I also noticed more bees with deformed wings which makes me feel bad, I feel like I have failed my bees with my varroa control this year. There were also some brood cells which had been uncapped before the pupal stage had completed. This I believe is called hygienic behaviour, where the bees remove pupa that have high levels of disease.20140823_130830
Hive 4 has a good brood nest, with brood across about 7 or 8 frames and plenty of stores. There were a handful of bees with deformed wings, but these maybe due to uniting this hive with a split from hive 3 earlier in the year.

Hive Inspection 23/08/14