The main purpose of today’s inspection is to rearrange the frames in the supers, to encourage the bees to cap the frames that are filling up and give them space where they need it. I was concerned that I had put too many supers on and they would struggle to fill them all.
In hive 1 this was necessary, all the full frames were moved up and out and the empty frames down and in to the middle. The supers were heavier than my last inspection, so I feel we do have a bit of a honey flow on. The brood box was inspected, everything was ok, so no action was required.
Hive 2 was the hive that had swarmed in May, despite this I needed to add a 3rd super to give them more room. The queen had got blocked into one half of the brood box by store frames, I moved some frames about to give her 2 extra frames to lay in.
Hive 3 was doing really well, so I added a 4th super. This was the hive that I removed all the brood from to treat the varroa. The queen was busy laying up the new frames.
In the now separate hive which has the varroa out of hive 3, the new bees were emerging with their varroa. As there was no new brood for the varroa to go into, it was on the adult bees. I have never seen so much varroa! I estimate 40% of the bees had 1 or more varroa mites on them! Hopefully the Thymovar will be killing them off.
Finally onto the swarm hive (now hive 4) I had a quick look to check to see if the new queen had been released. The queen cage was empty and there were eggs in the first frame I looked at. I quickly closed up the hive to avoid any further disturbance to the new queen.
Lots of forage about at the moment such as this buddleia.image

Hive Inspection 10/07/14