HONEY SHOW RECIPES
Honey Fruit Cake
6 oz honey
8 oz self-raising flour
8 oz mixed dried fruit
Equipment: 7 inch round tin or 2lb loaf tin
Oven instructions: 150oC 75 – 90 minutes OR 140oC for 60 mins in fan-assisted oven
1. Cream butter/margarine and honey together
2. Beat eggs and add alternatively with sifted flour and salt to creamed mixture
3. Add fruit (and enough milk if necessary) to give a dropping consistency
4. Turn into well-greased tin and bake on lower shelf as above
5. Allow to cool a little then turn onto a wire cake stand
6. Whilst still warm, brush top with honey
7. Leave to cool.
Honey Crunch Biscuits
2 oz butter
1 tbsp honey
3 oz rolled oats
2 oz plain flour
2 oz granulated sugar
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
Equipment: Baking sheet
Oven instructions: 350oF (180oC) ~ 15 minutes
1. Gently melt the butter and honey together.
2. Take off heat and add bicarbonate of soda.
3. In a bowl put flour, oats and sugar
4. Add and stir in the liquid mixture and allow to cool slightly.
5. Place 6 equal knobs of the mixture onto a well greased baking sheet and flatten slightly.
6. Bake on a middle shelf as above
7. Leave to cool until cold.
Caramelised Honey Chutney
2 level tsp black peppercorn
1 level tsp whole pickling spice
3lb marrow peeled, seeded and cut into ½ in chunks
1lb ripe tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
8oz onions, skinned and roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, skinned and roughly chopped
2 level tsp salt
2 level tsp ground ginger
2 oz sultanas
2lb preserving sugar
8oz granulated sugar
1 ¼ pint of cider or white wine vinegar
Prep time 20 Minutes, cooking time 1hr to 1 ½ hrs
Makes about 4-5 lb
1. Finely crush the peppercorn and allspice in a pestle and mortar or use the end of a rolling pin in a bowl.
2. Put all the ingredients in a preserving pan or large, heavy- based saucepan. Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil steadily for about 50 minutes. or until reduced by half. Stir occasionally until caramelised.
3. Allow to cool and place in sterilised jars and cover with jam pot covers.
Honey Lemon Curd
Grated rind and juice of 4 medium ripe, juicy lemons
4oz butter cut in small pieces
Prep time 20 Minutes, cooking time 25 minutes
Makes about 1 ½ lb
1. Place all the ingredients in the top of a deep heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water
2. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and continue heating gently without boiling for about 20 minutes or until the curd is thick enough to coat the back of a wooded spoon.
3. Pour into sterilised jars and seal with jam pot covers
Homemade curd should be made in small quantities as it only keeps for about 1 month. Store in a cool place.